prettyPhoto 3.0 feature requests.

December 22nd 2009

With the recent release of prettyPhoto 2.5.5, I want to start planning the 3.0 release. I already have some stuff I want to implement and I’d like to get the community input to make sure everyone is happy. Here’s what planned so far:

1) Ability to initialize multiple prettyPhoto with different settings.
2) When opening a gallery, have the gallery opened inside prettyPhoto so the user can quickly navigate through items.
3) Slideshow!

Let me know what you’d like!

As for the estimated ETA…when it’ll be done.

58 Responses to “prettyPhoto 3.0 feature requests.”

1. Michal says:

Cool. Slideshow would be really nice thing.

If I may suggest to also add support for more video formats. You announced it once but I guess it`s forgotten.

2. dave says:

2.5 looks nice so far.
    the only thing i’d love to see is a thinner border or no border skin.
    i know we could change your skins the way we want, but some skin like fanybox would be great.

anyway.. i love this plugin.

3. Ahmed says:

i love this plugin, i’m still struggling though on getting the transparency working on i.e 6

4. I second IE6 bug fix.

I’d like some optimizations to make it faster as well.

5. DAn says:

I’d love for it to work with the jQuery gallery plugin, Gallerfic.

6. Janek says:

Hi, i got question about prettyphoto. Can i use longdesc attribute for keep picture description instead link title attribute?

7. Jun says:

Calling from iframe support (load prettyPhoto on _parents screen, or ID. PLZ

8. Konstantin says:

PrettyPhoto break IE6 when html contains

body { background: #ffffff; }

.columns { clear: both; width: 100%; //padding-right: 1px; //overflow-x: hidden; }
    .columns .a, .columns .b { float: left; }
    .columns .a { width: 30%; background: #ccffcc; }
    .columns .b { width: 70%; background: #ffcccc; }

width 30%
    width 70%

9. Konstantin says:

PrettyPhoto break IE6 when html contains

body { background: #ffffff; }

. columns { clear: both; width: 100%; //padding-right: 1px; //overflow-x: hidden; }
    . columns. a,
    . columns. b
    { float: left; }
    . columns. a { width: 30%; background: #ccffcc; }
    . columns. b { width: 70%; background: #ffcccc; }

. wrong_columns { clear: both; width: 100%; margin-top: 1em; }
    . wrong_columns. a,
    . wrong_columns. b
    { float: left; }
    . wrong_columns. a { width: 30%; background: #ccffcc; }
    . wrong_columns. b { width: 70%; background: #ffcccc; }

Колонка шириной 30%
    Колонка шириной 70%, которая не скачет

10. Rob says:

FLICKR! Oh, please add some form of flickr integration into prettyPhoto. I’d love to be able to easily post flickr photos and galleries on my blog using prettyPhoto.

11. Joel says:

Yello!

Nice plugin mate.

I do have a suggestion. I would love to have the prev/next buttons over the picture always present, not only on mouse hover. Maybe with some transparency by default and 100% opaque on mouse hover.

Congrats

12. robert stewart says:

whatever you come up with, I am very much looking forward to it.

13. me says:

What about this feature:

If you use prettyPhoto to for video sites (like youtube & vimeo) it would be awsome, if a thumbnail of the video could be loaded automatically from the web site, the video is coming from.

e.g.

greets.

14. Nick says:

The iframes would be more useful if you didn’t have to mangle the URL to get them to work, it’s preventing me from using a PayPal link as it causes the request to fail!

Otherwise: great!

15. dave says:

@nick
    you can add the parameters for iframe after your URL. This works great for me.

16. Amien says:

Ability to launch prettyPhoto from code

17. SunJoo says:

First thanks for the great script and if I may please to add automatic youtube image thumbnail, it will be great. The mootools version, http://videobox-lb.sourceforge.net/ is the one quite easy for getting thumbnail image.

Cheers
    SunJoo

18. Harold says:

How do I remove the 1 of 2 records and the arrows images?
    Helpppppp

19. dave says:

@herold
    the div is called “pp_nav”.
    try to hide it in the css.. this should work

20. David says:

Love the plugin. Request would be to have the option to use JW Player as the player.

21. rc says:

Is there a way to add a link to the description either via title or alt text?

22. dave says:

@rc
    encode html entities of your link tag you want to add in the description und paste it in die ALT attribute of the link where you launch prettyPhoto. This works with images too.

23. Dave says:

First of I’d like to mention that I love this plugin very much. One thing that I think might come handy is maybe add a thumbnail navigation instead of only the “Next / Prev” DIVs.

24. nicmare says:

nice feature!

25. I love this plugin, I have currently used many projects. I is very nice

26. Emily H says:

Thanks so much for this plugin. I was looking high and low for a javascript gallery which would resize to full screen, or at least to fill the viewport. I only found this accidentally when someone mentioned it in passing about something unrelated. It would be great if you added these search terms “resize to fill viewport” to the features list as it will help other people find it.

My feature request is more of a bug fix I guess: if a title is being shown under the image and it is too long (which is more likely when the image isn’t very wide) then the text wraps onto another line and it pushes the back/forward buttons down and out of the box so you can’t see them. I had a look into fixing this but it is complicated: the height on the pp_content div would need to be adjusted and this is generated by javascript calculations on the fly.

27. jak099 says:

Please add Video Slideshows with formats – FLV, MP4, QT, SWF,AVI…for starters???

Thanks.

28. Michael says:

It would be sooo helpful if iframes in prettyPhoto could automatically expand and contract according to their contact

29. Michael says:

Further to last comment – I should elaborate on why this would be so helpful. Forms, forms forms!

It would mean that results of forms ie. “submit success” or “you haven’t filled out this bit or the next bit etc” would now all look much slicker without either too much space or scroll bars appearing.

30. jak099 says:

Autoplay Button – for bundles of images, MOV, SWF etc

31. Geler says:

An option in the API to remove the auto position update. I would like it to open at center but don’t move when we scroll. Like facebook’s modal window.

32. Rick Roberts says:

Let’s have a theme that has the close button in the upper left [where it belongs]. I’m a Mac dude. 🙂

33. Kelcio Casemiro says:

Hi, Why PrettyPhoto not work with livequery?

Thanks.

34. Kyle says:

Hello
    I wanted to add a description caption underneath my content when it pops up in prettyphoto.
    Unfortunately, now when you hover over the thumbnail, the title tag shows up with all the styled code in it, which looks pretty bad.
    Is there a way to disable the title hover, without disabling the actual styling itself?

35. dp says:

Simple Ajax loads instead of iframe for locally hosted files would be nice.

36. jak099 says:

Is mid-April 2010 too soon for prettyPhoto Version 3.0 (I ask?)

37. John Howard says:

My suggestions:

An outer ‘gallery’ container that stays a fixed size so the user does have to “chase the arrow”.
    Optional placement of the gallery thumbs below the main photo rather than over it.
    Load the gallery, not from a list of images embed on the page, but AJAX-ically via a $.get(). Perhaps the rel attribute of a solitary image that opens the gallery overlay would identify the get URL.

38. Luis Cevallos says:

Hi i have a question if is possible the flash can autoload when a page is open thanks i hope someone can answer my question.

Have a nice day

39. Sylvester says:

40. Brett P-R says:

Is there a way, or can we have a way, for the next and previous buttons to ‘wrap’ back to the first or last image when you reach the end or the start of the Images?

Otherwise, VERY nice piece of work. Thank you!

41. sergio says:

It would be great to support MP3 files. Even single plays. Like – web site displays a hyperlink to an MP3. Click it, PrettyPhoto overlay opens with a basic MP3 player inside playing the file. Good work thanks for sharing!

42. spidflinch says:

a suggestion for slideshows : a play/pause control with the space bar…

43. spidflinch says:

second suggestion :
    slideshow only starts
    • the first time if autoplay=true,
    • if play button is actionned after slideshow’s being stopped

– this would permit manual slideshow ! 😉 –

44. inblues says:

I have my alt too long and it cause the text show not align properly. How to solve it?

45. Andrea says:

Hi there!
    I love your prettyPhoto it is exactly what I’ve been looking for.
    The only thing that keeps me from being able to use it for my current project is the fact that there is no way to pass a starting index to the $.prettyPhoto.open function.

I googled and found the following post:

and used michelts fix to change:
    set_position=0;
    TO
    set_position=(arguments[3])?parseInt(arguments[3]):0;

to make it work for now.

It would be awesome if you could integrate this in the next version.

Thanks again for creating such a cool plugin!

46. Jaqui says:

I often need to put videos that are not on youtube or vimeo for clients. The JW player is an excellent and easy to use free player with a new version of their code that will work on iPad, iPhone and other devices. It would be so wonderful if it would be possible to use the JW player in prettyphoto, so that when I have a video gallery I can include videos on the local server.
    If you prefer another player than the JW player, that is also ok, as long as one can put videos from their local servers.
    Thank you for prettyphoto. It is really great!

47. Muhammad Qaiser says:

I am trying to add feature in gallery slide show i.e. if there is only one image then slideshow automatically stops. has anyone already worked on it?

48. Jason says:

“It would be great to support MP3 files. Even single plays. Like – web site displays a hyperlink to an MP3. Click it, PrettyPhoto overlay opens with a basic MP3 player inside playing the file.”

49. hoogs says:

Would love to see ‘longdesc’ used instead of ‘title’ for descriptions so the image remains clear on mouseover.

I’ve made the change to your code myself but I think it makes such an improvement (particularly with long descriptions containing encoded html) that it should be part of the standard package.

Gratz on a brilliant plugin btw.

50. hoogs says:

Hmm… downloaded prettyPhoto 2.5.5 with it’s “no-freeze on skinny image with long description” bug fix. However, now I can’t figure out how to make my title to longdesc change without breaking that fix!

Now I’d really love ‘longdesc’ instead of ‘title’ to be built into the standard build.