prettyPhoto 3.0.2: Much needed bug fixes

March 7th 2011

I know, I haven’t been really active lately, but don’t worry I was working on prettyPhoto for the past several months. This new version does not boast any new feature (*sad face*), but it does contains a lot of bug fixes. It is a recommended update for anyone running prettyPhoto on their site.

Where can I get it?

Head over the project page to download this new version :)

You can also follow the project on github to be up to date on the latest prettyPhoto development

Help it broke my site!

As usual, if you have any problem with this new release, please head over the support forums where you will be taken care of.

Fixes/Changes

• Fixed: The overlay gallery is now only displayed on rollover to resolve issue where it always showed during slideshow
  • Fixed: Made the filetype check case insensitive
  • Fixed: Percent based sizes to be independant
  • Fixed: Issue with trailing characters after the filename
  • Fixed: An issue when opening big images in inline content
  • Fixed: Make sure the content never scroll over the top
  • Fixed: Initial prettyPhoto position
  • Fixed: Slideshow autoplay when closing – reopening prettyPhoto.
  • Fixed: Scroll issue in IE
  • Fixed: Width issue in IE
  • Fixed: prettyPhoto default size
  • Fixed: image preloading and image injection code
  • Fixed: Resize icon behavior
  • Changed: prettyPhoto now loops through the gallery instead disabling the next arrow on the last item
  • Changed: Namespaced events to play better with other plugins.
  • Changed: Keyboard event to only preventDefault on actions used by prettyPhoto

15 Responses to “prettyPhoto 3.0.2: Much needed bug fixes”

1. Bill Hannah says:

Thanks for the udpate. It’s funny I just found this plugin and am using it on a site that’s going live in a few days. Today I just had a request to add the ability to keep the next/previous buttons always in the lightbox and you did your fix before I had a chance to hack the code and do it myself :)

I may still need to do this though, as the previous button doesn’t go back to the last photo when you get to the end of the list. It seems strange to me that it would keep going in one direction but not in the other.

It would also be good if it were a configuration option on instantiation to have it keep going when it gets to the end of the list.

Thanks for the great work though!

2. Sylvio says:

Thanks for your great plugin

I have a bug on IE8/Win7/Jquery 1.4.4 using API

To resolve it, in open function move “_buildOverlay(event.target);” from line 170 to line 175
    (as explain here : http://forums.no-margin-for-errors.com/discussion/1314/prettyphoto-3.0.1-bug-with-api-open-function/#Item_1 )

3. Karen says:

I’m working on a new site using PrettyPhoto. My client doesn’t feel it’s truly a slide show unless there is a choice to automate it. Can it be done?

4. Andy Kay says:

Hi, Im using this to view a selection of YouTube videos and have found that the first video on the page doesnt load up properly (when clicked). It has no styling to the popup box (no rounded corners) and also the video reloads every 3 seconds. Every other video on the page is fine, but always the first one errors.
    I’ve got a slight workaround by linking an imaginary video hidden away before the normal videos.
    Thought I’d let you know!
    Great script by the way! I’ll certainly donate when my client pays for the site Im building them! :)
    Your script is like the standalone TubePress (wordpress plugin) which they are charging $25/year for!

5. Dirk says:

Hi! I was so happy when I made prettyPhoto working on my website. The image gallery looks really cool on Firefox. Unfortunately opening the website in IE8 was disappointing. prettyPhoto is not loading, instead the image opens in a new page. I made sure I had no trailing commas. But it still doesn’t seem to work. I am almost 100% sure that it’s not my mistake, because when I open the website (http://www.no-margin-for-errors.com/projects/prettyphoto-jquery-lightbox-clone/) with the gallery demo in IE8, it gives the same error.
    I think that maybe Sylvios post from “March 9, 2011 at 6:41 am” could be of some help, but I don’t know exactly which bug he’s talking about (is it that prettyPhoto is not loading, instead the image opens in a new page ?) and in which file I have to search for line 170 (or 175).

Still I want to thank for this cool little peace of art!

6. tgarios says:

Good morning.
    I need your help.
    I do not understand how to use prettyPhoto. What does prettyPhoto [gallery2column]? How do I set up the images one by one instead of prettyPhoto [gallery2column].
    Example: image1.jpg, image2.jpg, image3.jpg, image3.jpg.
    Thank you.

7. Anders says:

I just set up site and found your prettyphoto very pretty!

However, we want to show a lot of pictures (examplelink below) and “complete” the load time is high due to the pp_galley bar. I found that the pp_gallery bar was using the full images (pp_images) and added pp_thumbs in the init-code and uses those images for the pp_gallery thumbs. Since these thumbs are the imgs – and small – they will be loaded fast and are available without bandwidth usage when then prettyphoto opens. According to your examples I suggest my little change as default behaviour for atleast the images (I haven’t looked at your flash etc support)

Best Regards

8. Raj says:

WHat code should I change if I want to reposition the lightbox popup? I would like to position the lightbox more towards the top.

Thanks

9. SK says:

regarding preetyphoto. how can we add more than one gallery images on a pages. i cannt find anywhere the answer of the this question

10. Ax says:

I noticed that because each photo creates a unique URL, the viewer has to push the browsers back button several times to return to a previous page after viewing photos in prettyphoto (in Firefox, Safari and Chrome). Is there an easy way to fix that? Or is this just an inherent issue with the script? It’s a major issue for me because I’m using it in a shopping cart, and viewers will need to be able to use the back button to return to a category page from a single product page. It’s not intuitive to have to push the back button several times to get back and it makes it look like there’s a problem with the website. I really think that should be addressed in the next release.

It may also be worth noting that it works perfectly fine in IE8 and IE9.

11. Ax says:

Update: I just discovered that the deeplinking feature can be turned off. However, even when turned off it still creates one new URL when closed, so the user still has to push the back button twice. I still think this is a major issue for the non-techy web people out there and could easily turn people off to a website.

12. Ax says:

UPDATE: I swear it’ll be the last one. I removed the text, #!prettyPhoto, from line 80 and disabled deeplinking, and works like a charm now in all of the latest browsers including IE 8 and 9. Sorry for jumping the gun with the comments :)

13. Valkyr says:

Hey guys,

Currently if you play a video on the slider and you move your mouse away from it.. the slider will continue to slide through different slides with the video still playing. Is there any setting that can fix that? Detect if the video is playing and pause the slider? Maybe a built-in function I could use?

The best I got so far is have onmouseover=slideshow.cycleStop=1 assigned to that particular slide. Onclick does not work for some odd reason and neither does cyclePause. cycleStop completely kills the slider.. even the buttons stop working.

Any ideas?

14. Marwa Mohsen says:

You can use the following code:

$(“.gallery”).each(function(){
    $(this).first().find(“a[rel^=’prettyPhoto’]”).prettyPhoto({animation_speed:’normal’,theme:’pp_default’,slideshow:5000, autoplay_slideshow: true});

$(“this:gt(0)”).find(“a[rel^=’prettyPhoto’]”).prettyPhoto({animation_speed:’fast’,slideshow:30000, hideflash: true});
    });